The Americana (or Americano) is a simple, elegant, and useful step. The basic Americana position is with the partners facing the same direction in a promenade position with the feet on the inside (leader's right, follower's left) extended forward.
Below are basic ways to get into and out of Americana.
How to get into Americana
- From the side step to the open side, pivoting to make the next step the Americana.
- From a front ocho as the follower steps forward on their left, the leader steps into the Americana.
- While walking in parallel, leader pivots follower clockwise on their right so that the next step is the Americana.
Where to go from Americana
- Both pivot on the inside feet to face followed by step to the open side.
- Pivot the follower on their left counterclosewise 180 to face the leader.
- Walk forward in parallel.
- Lead follower to side step right then both walk forward cross-foot with the leader on the closed side.
- Lead the follower to side step right to begin a molinete / giro.
- Tango Embrace - Steps in Americana 5:01
- By Tanguito, Argentine Tango Academy (Nati & Bruno). Weak audio but shows some steps using the Americana.
- Figur mit Boleo und Salida Americana 6:03
- By Ricardo & Raquel. Preceding an Americana with a Boleo is graceful move, shich is what they do here. This is in German with English subtitles.
- Salida Americana 4:09
- By Ricardo & Raquel. Starts with a rock step and forward ocho. This is in German with English subtitles.